Wednesday, November 20, 2013

The ocean laid down enough for some boats go fishing and crabbing. Both were slow, at least for the guys I spoke to. One boat with three guys caught half limits of rockfish and crab; another boat had a few rockfish but only one Dungeness for four pots. These boats went to 10 Mile where the pressure had been light until last weekend. The outer bay wasn't red hot but there's still a few pockets of crabs out there. Nervous crabs, and not as many jumbos, but keepers. Tomales Bay has been pretty consistent with slow to very slow action on the pier to limits for the guys that know what they're doing in their own boats. I'd tell you if I knew, but when I've asked for their secrets the best answer I got was, "Good clean living." I'm not sure that works.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I was there on Sunday crabbing to the North of Lawson Landing Pier and we caught a bunch of dungees. The negative tide was a killer when it changed around 11 but we waited til around 5:30 and it started really hitting. We caught a total of 48 with 9 keepers, two of the keepers were 8" and two others were 7" and the rest were a little over legal. We only caught two rock crab the whole time. Really enjoy this place and the people. We hope the seasons continues but since we are new and have read the commercial guys kill the population, we will wait to see how it goes.

Anonymous said...

I was out there on Saturday near hog island and caught just shy of limits for my wife and I. It was a bit rough and even had to tow a guy in that had motor troubles. All in all a good day. They're out there you just have to find them and grind.

Tomales Outlaw said...

Speaking for myself, I live good and clean.

Outlaw

Anonymous said...

Willy, Love your witty and informative posts. Thank you!