Monday, July 16, 2012

Apparently there was some drama on the high seas on Sunday when a boat sank off of Wright's Beach, north of Carmet. Here's the details, as told by the rescued fisherman:

My thanks to ANGER MANAGEMENT and his crew and everyone else who got involved to help me when I had to say that ill fated phrase May DAY, MAY DAY when my boat started taking on water and went under in about two minutes.


The day started out great. Slept late and launched about 8:45 from Bodega. Went solo as I had only a couple of hours and wanted to go to a friend’s party with a fish for the BBQ. Although I passed what appeared to be good readings, I headed all the way to 24/7. About a mile short the fish finder showed all those beautiful fish so I dropped in and bam, one fish in the box in first 5 minutes. It was then a free for all as I kept getting one fish after another that was either too small or came unbuttoned when I tried to net it with my bad shoulder holding the rod in the other hand. There was a lot of blood on the deck so after I got my other rod in the water, I picked up my hose to clean up only to have it die on me. I was about to check the fuse when my faithful PINK LADY once again goes off only to find a good keeper on the rod. About that time I noticed water was about foot high in the back of the boat, which had me concerned as was coming over the transom fast. I was about to gun the engine when the water got high enough and it sputtered and died. Putting my rod in the holder with a fish on it I called out my first May Day and got on my life jacket which was right there at my console where I hung it after getting to the fishing grounds making sure my radio was still in my pocket. From there things were a blur as by now water was at my knees and I realized this was not good and knew in was only another minute or two at the most before I’d be swimming. Knowing this, I called for the Coast Guard on channel 16 2-3 times and got no answer. Went back to channel 9 and put out another May Day this time saying I needed help real fast as the situation was deteriorating real fast beyond my control. All I was thinking was that I have to walk my daughter down the isle to get married in a couple of weeks and it’s not my time to go. By now I realized it was foggy so I started using my air horn as the boat horn is a joke. Two boats close by ignored my distress calls along with me waving frantically. Must not have been Coastsiders. Although people on the radio were telling me to use my flare gun it was too late. It was handy, but I had it taped around to keep things dry and I was having trouble getting the tape off. I knew people were looking for me with my coordinates, but it was foggy so I was using my Air horn as a direction beacon, which proved successful. Out of the fog came Anger Management as my boat was at the water line and I’m about to go for a swim. Reaching out they pulled me aboard.


Again I want to thank everyone who participated in my rescue. Without you all, I’m sure this story would have a different ending with some else telling what they believed happened to me.

MORAL OF THE STORY
1. Have a DAMMED PFD for everyone on the boat and keep it handy, not stowed away below somewhere. WEAR IT ESPECIALLY WHEN ALONE.
2. Have a portable and floatable VHF radio close by or on your person especially WHEN ALONE.
3. Have an Air horn close by and handy. I also keep a small one in my pocket.
4. Keep you flare gun and flares handyas well, not buried somewhere below. If you tape them up to keep them dry, then have a flap at the end so you can easily pull it open unlike me. 
5. Lastly, fish with a buddy, so if there’s a problem, you can step on his shoulder’s to reach higher or feed him to the sharks first. (Ha Ha)

Seriously, have safety gear handy and not stowed away like most people.
When **** happens, it happens real fast and like my case it was 3 minutes until it was all over!.


Since I sank a boat before, this story seemed important to share with you. You can't argue with his advice. I would hope that everyone reading this would do their best to help. And I for one am very glad to share the waters here with the crew of the Anger Management.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW! Good story, Will. I wonder if he went home and read his horoscope.